Friday, January 22, 2010

When it rains, it pours

Here comes the sun, here comes the sun, and I say it's all right





We got a hike in before the rain. That was a week ago, it feels like a month ago. Being a psychology major, I have learned about mood disorders, some of which come from a change, often in the weather. This week I began to really understand it. It's so easy to get moody, sad, or irritated when it's raining. Some people totally love the rain. I am, however, not one of these people.


Little darling, it's been a long cold winter. Little darling, it feels like years since it's been here. Here comes the sun, here comes the sun, and I say it's all right.


When I moved to Santa Barbara I knew it was going to be pretty. I didn't know that it would be gorgeous. My oldest sister was moving away from Santa Barbara one month after I arrived. She had lived here for I think six years and really her only piece of advice for me was to swim in the ocean. She hadn't been fully submerged in the ocean in the past couple of years and really regretted it. I thought that was silly. Of course I'd be going to the beach all the time, and of course I'd be in the ocean.


Little darling, the smiles returning to the faces. Little darling, it seems like years since it's been here. Here comes the sun, here comes the sun, and I say it's all right.


I'd say I've done a pretty good job appreciating my surroundings in the past 2.5 years. When I drive, walk, or bike past the ocean, it still takes my breath away. Yes, I have swam in the waves quite a few times and I've even surfed. Last year, during winter quarter I successfully touched the ocean every single day. We've had BBQ's, parties, hang outs, and even night adventures all at the beach.


Sun, sun, sun, here it comes...


The weather man says the sun's coming back tomorrow. He better be right. Our winter's been really long (it's been raining for a whole week and a half!), and I'm ready for it to be spring. I'm ready to wear dresses and take naps in our back yard and swim in the ocean with the dolphins. I'm ready to leave all the doors and windows open in our house and listen to music and study in the sun. I'm ready to bike to school in shorts and a tank top and not have to worry about bringing a jacket anywhere. I'm ready for it to be Santa Barbara again.


Little darling, I feel that ice is slowly melting. Little darling, it seems like years since it's been clear. Here comes the sun, here comes the sun and I say it's all right. It's all right.


I'm ready for it to be home again. I'm ready to show it off again.




No comments:

Post a Comment