Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Graduation? What?

Graduation is 5 and a half months away. Echk. I never ever ever want to leave UCSB. Grace, the six year old I babysit for, had gymnastics on campus yesterday. We parked at the Rec Cen, and walked, swinging hands in synchrony, talking about UCSB. She asked me if I knew any of the kids that were by the bike racks. I didn't, and explained that there are 20,000 students at UCSB, which is much more than at Mountain View Elementary, and so it's impossible to know everyone. Just then, I see some one that I knew. It made me realize how connected I am at UCSB. No, I don't know even a tenth of the 20,000, but I do know a whole heck of a lot of people. We're all different, but in some way we are all alike as well. We all worked hard enough at some point in our lives to make it here. We all also chose to forgo the opportunities to study at more prestigious universities such as UCLA or Stanford because we valued something else more. Be it student life, the ocean, or the party scene. We are all students. We're sponges soaking up the knowledge of those smarter than us with some hope of someday being that smart.


I'm staying in Santa Barbara after graduation. I am no where near ready to leave yet. So I won't miss the ocean, I'll still be living blocks away. I won't miss the student life, I'll still go to soccer games and have connections (Ashley and Julie) in. Heck, I might even be able to go to classes with them. I'll turn 21, and won't be missing out on any opportunities for the party scene.


I will miss sitting in class. I'll miss listening to the smartest people in the world talk about their passion. I'll miss biking from Sueno to Phelps, and back. I'll miss taking notes and doodling in the margin. I'll miss finding out what friends I have in classes, and what people I'll debate all quarter if I should sit next to or not, only to have the quarter pass me by. I'll miss Dr. Baldwin's box with a post it smiley face that represents an infant. I'll miss Dr. Klein's cynicism and sarcastic jokes. I'll miss Dr. Koegel's geeky laugh and kind nature. I'll miss Dr. Revlin's comb over and demos. I'll miss sitting on the lawn or walking to the beach in between classes. I'll miss teachers taking class outside because it's just too nice to be inside. I'll miss the kids showing up to class in a wetsuit with a surfboard because they were running a little late. I'll miss never seeing a kid fall asleep in class.


What do I do until then? I appreciate it. What else can you do?

No comments:

Post a Comment