Monday, September 20, 2010

Your Summer, My School Year




Did you know that as of tonight I am officially ONE THIRD of the way through my first semester of law school? I bet you didn't. Kind of crazy, I know. Time is going by way too quickly and I am overwhelmed with the amount of work and time I could be putting into school, but for right now I need to sit and reflect.
Did I mention that Trent and Julie are back? WOOOOOooooOO
OOOoooOO (yes, I am THAT excited). Not this past weekend, but the weekend before that they came up to the Bay Area with me to have some fun and spend time with m
y parents. Ok, so let me just tell you that I fall more and more in love with San Francisco every time I visit, especially as I am entering my adult years. Drinking an alcoholic concoction at the Cheesecake Factory on top of the city is way more fun than a raspberry lemonade. We went on a roller coaster boat in the bay (ROCKET BOAT!), which was way more fun than you could even imagine. Spending time with friends from home is always good. Spending time with friends from Santa Barbara is always great. Mixing the two? Perfection.
Now this week I've been back to work at DAWG and babysitting. Let me just give you a little mini lecture. DAWG is a non-profit organization that I work at 15 hours a week. I actually end up working many more hours than that, so I volunteer there as well. You would think that I may get frustrated that a lot of my time gets sucked up volunteering, but I don't. Why? I care so much about this organization. There are so many flaws, but at the end of the day that doesn't matter at all. What does matter is how many animals lives they're saving. Did you know that some shelters have to put HUNDREDS of dogs to sleep a year? Take Camarillo, for instance, which I've heard has to put 30% of their population down a week, totaling
almost 50 dogs PER WEEK. At DAWG, we make every effort to reduce this number. We try and make shelter life a little easier for the dogs that have taken up residency with us, and we do everything we can to help people that can't take care of their dogs anymore because of some hardship (the hardest part of the job for sure). It is a cause that is completely worth my time and money as well as yours if you have some of either to spare.
The point of this little plug is to let the four of you that read my blog know that sometimes you find passion where you least expect it. I've always loved dogs, but I never knew the devastation that some endure. I started working and found that I could do way more for an organization than I ever imagined possible. We may be young and poor, but we have a lot more power and say in the world than we might think.

1 comment:

  1. puppies <333

    Glad we have both found meaning in life in the strangest of places :)

    ReplyDelete