Sunday, February 7, 2010

You belong among the wildflowers...


You belong among the wildflowers. You belong in a boat out at sea. Sail away, kill off the hours. You belong somewhere you feel free.

The other day, I was complaining to my dad that my name is too common. He laughed at me. Turns out, when my parents chose to name me Emily it was considered a bit of a hippie name and they were given a little grief. A lot of things seemed to make sense at that moment.

Run away, find you a lover. Go away somewhere all bright and new. I have seen no other that compares with you.

I do not really consider myself to be a hippie. I mean, what makes a person a hippie? I shower often, I shave my armpits and legs, and I don't experiment with copious amounts and varieties of drugs.

You belong among the wildflowers. You belong in a boat out at sea. You belong with your love on your arm. You belong somewhere you feel free.

I do believe in and promote peace and love. I do enjoy deep, meaningful, and spiritual music. I do like to wear flowers in my hair and spin in the grass, but I think all of these things are me just enjoying being a kid. I do like to live without too many strings attached, I like to live free. Some of the things I believe in may sound hippiesque, but I think they are just big goals so other people are afraid of them.

Run away, go find a lover. Run away, let your heart be your guide. You deserve the deepest of cover. You belong in that home by and by.

I think being in Santa Barbara has made me think more in line with the thinking of hippies. Sometimes I find myself saying things like, "I just want to go to the beach" or "I just need to sit in the sun" or "I wish everyone was just nice". In Northern California, these things might be labeled as "hippie". In Santa Barbara though, these things are waaaay more acceptable.

You belong among the wildflowers. You belong somewhere close to me. Far away from your trouble and worry. You belong somewhere you feel free. You belong somewhere you feel free.

Shhh...I think that's why I like Santa Barbara. It's okay to be free here. It's okay to gallop down the beach. Who cares? Everyone is pretty into enjoying it all.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Emily... you are such a hippie hahaha :) But I am one too and that is why I love you!

    ReplyDelete